Ambala, July 2022: As schools in India reopened after two years hiatus, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India (HMSI) continues its National Road Safety Awareness Campaign in the country to re-emphasize the need for road safety awareness among citizens.
The three-days camp (19 – 21 July 2022) at the D A V Public School, Riverside, Ambala Cantt witnessed spirited participation from nearly 3000 school students and staff members who set out to imbibe the safe riding practices. HMSI’s road safety instructors utilized the age appropriate road safety learning programs to enhance the retention of road safety awareness among all.
Speaking on HMSI’s commitment towards sensitizing India on road safety, Mr. Prabhu Nagaraj, Operating Officer – Brand & Communication, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India said, “Road safety education is essential for developing a road safety mindset. Continuing to further strengthen our commitment of building a safer India on roads, we have resumed our on-ground road safety training – National Road Safety Awareness Campaign. With this campaign, we aim to educate children as safety ambassadors of tomorrow as well as help adults in understanding the importance of using the roads safely.”
HMSI’s National Road Safety Awareness program made learning fun yet scientific through:
1. INTERACTIVE SESSION: HMSI’s specially trained road safety instructors educated 5 to 10 years old about the do’s and don’ts while commuting in a school bus and cycling.
2. PRACTICAL LEARNING: 11 to 12 years old learnt how to ride their bicycle safely, their duties as a pillion on two-wheeler and importance of safety gear on roads. To make this learning more practical and fun, kids got hands on learning experience on the specially imported CRF50 motorcycles.
3. SCIENTIFIC THEORY LEARNING MODULE: Safety riding theory session on road rules & regulations, road signs & markings, driver’s duties on road, riding gear & posture explanation and safe riding etiquettes was conducted for 13 to 17 years old as well as for staff.
4. EXISTING DRIVERS HONING RIDING SKILLS: School staff members who are already existing riders tested and honed their learnings through theoretical as well as practical training on a two-wheeler.
5. LEARNING BECAME FUN: To ensure that the young students could learn more about road safety, HMSI also conducted fun educational activities like road safety games and quizzes on daily basis.
Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India’s CSR commitment towards Road Safety:
For Honda globally, road safety comes first. As announced in April 2021, “Honda will strive for zero traffic collision fatalities involving Honda motorcycles and automobiles globally by 2050”. Fulfilling its corporate social responsibility (CSR), HMSI has been promoting road safety in India since its start in 2001. Working towards the realization of Honda’s global safety vision, today HMSI’s road safety awareness initiative has already spread to over 46 lac Indians. Its team of skilled safety instructors conduct daily programmes at its 10 adopted traffic parks across India and 7 Safety Driving Education Centers (SDEC).
Not only this, all 1000+ dealerships of HMSI across India spread road safety awareness. HMSI’s proprietary virtual riding simulator increases the risk-prediction ability of riders; while new customers too are given predelivery safety advise (PDSA) before they start riding at every dealership across India.
Additionally, ensuring that learning doesn’t stop in the New Normal, HMSI started the digital road safety education initiative – Honda Road Safety E-Gurukul. Since its start in May’20, this initiative has sensitized 7 Lac+ Indians on importance of being aware & responsible road users.